16.5.06

through time zones + ozones

I see many of my new york friends about as often as I see my foreign ones; uncrossing train lines + the busy-ness of everyone makes big gatherings rare, which made saturday night at barbés all the better; no real goodbyes, just genuine support and love from our friends, you mahhvelous people...

Sunday went smoothly, early at the airport and no extra weight charges(!), along with the eerie politeness of the gorgeously dressed Singapore Airlines staff. The seats were bright purple and they gave you matching socks and a wee tube of toothpaste. After a singapore sling, stroganoff and an ice cream bar, and there were about seven million international movies to chose from: heavenly. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was even playing, and I gazed lovingly at the young Paul Newman, so grateful that he had put us in this place. A German man complimented my lederhosen, and asked if we could switch. But they were a gift from Sarah, who was sitting beside me, so I declined.

Then came a day long layover at the Frankfurt Airport, where I have great memories of the best breakfast of my life at an airport hotel, when stranded in a snowstorm once with three girls from Italy. This time, we met two guys from Romania and Macedonia en route to film a UNESCO festival in the Philippines, also shooting on a Canon XL1, (we have the XL2, but we're too classy to brag about that sort of thing...). They're also shooting *and* editing the whole thing in two weeks, so go to Romania if you want something NOW. So Thing With No Name has its first spot in the film festival of a mountainous Macedonian town!

And now, at 2:20 pm Tuesday, we've finally taken our socks off to cool our feet in the balmy Durban air...birds are cooing in the garden outside of the little apartment we have for the night, and it's so nice to feel the outside again...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's always funny the things that you receive seemingly randomly in other places (re: the socks, etc on the plane..). the first time I went to Japan with my mama when I was 10, we walked the streets of Tokyo and were constantly being handed little packages of kleenex. which was convenient for me as I had caught a cold on the plane.

I'm so glad you started this blarg...I'm anxious to hear about the adventures and see the pictures of the process, in near-real time!

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home